What to Bring


Every tax situation is different, like your own tax finger print.  Here are some guidelines to help you get started.  If there is anything else that can help in preparing the most accurate return, you can bet your tax advisor will find it, saving you every possible dollar!   That is why we are here.


New Clients:  

  • Non-expired government issued Photo ID, such as a state issued driver’s license
  • Social Security cards for yourself, spouse and dependents
  • Proof of birthdate for dependents.


New and Returning Clients:

  • 1095 Forms:  If anyone on your tax return was enrolled in health coverage through the federal government’s Health Insurance Marketplace (Healthcare.gov) OR a State Exchange, you MUST bring in Form(s) 1095-A. You CANNOT file your income tax return without this form.  —>  If someone on your tax return had an employer sponsored health plan OR purchased coverage directly from an insurance company  OR had coverage through a government sponsored program like Medicare, Medicaid, Veteran’s or Peace Corps Volunteers Health Plan, bring forms 1095 B and/or 1095C.
  • ALL W-2’s, 1098’s, 1099’s, plus a list of any other gross income including nontaxable income for which you did NOT receive a tax document

  • Amounts paid for post-secondary education, such as college tuition, books, supplies and equipment for you, spouse and/or your dependents. Please bring in the Form 1098-T and your book receipts.
  • Schedule K-1’s received from S-corporations, partnerships, estates, and/or trusts

  • Energy efficient home improvement receipts such as exterior windows, exterior doors, skylights, insulation, certain asphalt and metal roofs, central air conditioners, gas, oil, and propane water heaters, electric heat pumps, biomass stoves, solar electric, solar water heating, wind energy systems, and geothermal heat pumps.
  • Contribution records: made to Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, and Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). If an early DISTRIBUTION is made from a Roth IRA, we need to know about your contributions and distributions for ALL prior years. If a distribution is made from an HSA and you did NOT use the entire amount for qualified unreimbursed medical expenses, we will need to know the amount that was used for nonqualified expenses.  Form 1099-SA
  • Real estate sales, stocks, or mutual funds, we will need to know your cost or other basis and date of purchase, inheritance, or gift. For stocks and mutual funds, we need Form(s) 1099-B.Sale of real estate, you may receive Form 1099-S
  • For child and dependent care expenses, we will need the amount paid along with the name, complete address, and federal tax identification number (EIN) of the provider (Social Security number, if the provider is a person).
  • Medical expenses – health insurance premiums, physicians, hospitals, prescriptions, co-pays, eye exams/glasses, home improvements done for medical reasons, and mileage driven for medical purposes.
  • Real estate taxes, state income tax
  • Mortgage interest and points- Form 1098.
  • Charitable contributions, casualty and theft losses, tax preparation fees, job related expenses you were not reimbursed for, such as travel, supplies, education, tools, uniforms, dues, etc. Job hunting expenses such as resumes, travel, phone charges, and employment agency fees.
  • Union dues and reimbursed mileage information
  • Rental Properties:   rental income and rental expenses separated into different expense categories, property purchase information which may be shown on a Settlement Statement
  • Amounts and dates of any “estimated tax” payments you sent to the IRS and/or state tax agencies
  • Information on any foreign income, foreign financial accounts, foreign trusts, or other foreign assets you had during the year

  • Divorce decree or separation agreement (if applicable)

  • If a spouse or dependent on your tax return is deceased, please bring in a copy of the death certificate

  • If you are the noncustodial parent AND you are claiming your child as a dependent and you were never married OR your divorce took place AFTER December 31, 2008, we will need a completed Form 8332 from the custodial parent.

  • If you had a foreclosure on your property, please bring in Form 1099-A
  • Debt forgiveness:  form 1099-C
  • Any other information you think may pertain to your tax return and its accuracy